Friday, March 19, 2010

why can't we be friends?

As the US House of Representatives convenes to vote on the new Health Care Bill this weekend, I am overwhelmed by the ardent opposition to this seemingly logical, ideal and Christian policy. Wait a second-aren't the Republicans supposed to be the good Christians, and the Democrats the godless, heathen hippies? What ever happened to those stylin' WWJD bracelets, because they'd sure come in handy right now...And what about the archetypal story of the Good Sumaritan? In my opinion, Health Care reform is the modern day parallel of this parable and I see no way around it. Sorry.

The Problem as I see it is that people are getting too caught up in extraneous and unrelated issues, such as abortion and gay marriage laws. But let's face it: just because you support a fiscal Democrat policy doesn't mean that you have to turn-in Dumbo for Eeyore. This leads me to the root of The Problem: polarization. We've (althought I can't legally vote in the USA, I am still including myself in the "we-ness". Not to be confused with "wenis", the wrinkly, feelingless skin covering the elbow. Go ahead, bite it. Or I guess you'd have to get someone to bite it for you.) I've digressed. Let me start over...We've become so consumed with differentiating between Republican and Democrat that even a nod of the head in agreement with a policy of an opposing party is seen as betrayal. This has narrowed the scope of possibilities available to the American people, as this political division has led people to believe that politics is a zero-sum game; if your party wins, mine loses. And that's not the way it should be. I say that The People should be able to pick and choose the policies and bills that speak to their personal character, regardless if the bill was proposed by a (D) or an (R). I believe this would lead to a more united, productive United States of America. But what do I know? I'm just an alien resident from America's hat.

6 comments:

  1. I totally agree about choosing policies rather than staunchly sticking to a party.
    In general,do Americans elect the party or the person??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Party, from what I know. At least in Utah. 'Everyone' of course being an exaggeration, but most people in the US are party voters. I'm a blah blah blah... and then they vote blindly for them. It seems rational to them. Anyways, I think the majority of all people, Canada, and others included are party voters because it makes their lives easier and gives them a sense of security or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think most people really vote based on party, not policies. At the end of the day they are all a bunch of liars anyway. Let the attacks and comments begin.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm--this is turning into a family thing!!Didnt realise we were so politically inclined!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know you, but I want to hang out! I could've written this (but not really because you write extremely well, and your thoughts are put out there so clearly). Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for putting into words what I already feel. As a democrat who converted to a conservative religion I feel like it's been an interesting six years (since I converted). Eye opening, and makes me look at myself and why I vote certain ways. I completely agree 100% with your first paragraph especially.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely disagree with that first paragraph! I know conservatives are cast as the heartless moneywhores but there's no one that wants poor children to go without healthcare, which is why medicaid covers poor families. and then the rich can afford it skyrocketing costs but its the middle class that gets SCREWED. we ALL know the system is broken but giving this much control to corrupt government officials is not the way to do it.

    Great job with the Blog, steph. it's like our online version of "The Ladies Think Club" woot!

    ReplyDelete