Tuesday, March 30, 2010

to ban or not to ban?


A pressing issue in Europe right now is whether France can consitutionally ban women from wearing the burqa in public. There seem to be two conflicting ideologies here: religious freedom versus women's liberation. While I try to distance myself from the man-hating/bra-burning/frowny-faced/armpit-jungled/perpetually single feminist, I am all for gender equality and social justice. That's why I was surprised to find myself adamantly defending the burqa when the issue arose in class a few weeks ago. As I raised my hand to contribute my opinion to the class discussion, I hesitated to do an introspective double-take..."Really, Steph? You're going to advocate a woman's "right" to cover her face; to be veiled from society; to be an object that needs to be hid? Are your hormones in check? Maybe they haven't 'bounced back' since having Harper. Come on, there must be SOMETHING wrong with you?!" Then I realized that my hormones have been, are, and always will be out of wack (poor Rivers), and what was actually occuring in my confused mind was that my religious convictions were overpowering my zeal for women's lib. Wait...no...gotta fight for...gender equality but...my hand is still raised and...can't coax it down...and oh no...gonna say something about...religious freedom and...being Mormon and...I truly believe it. Wow.

In essence, my defense of the burqa was on the lines of the undeniable right to freely express religion. Most every religion holds tokens/apparel that are deeply sacred and made to demonstrate devotion to deity. While I am aware that the Q'ran doesn't suggest that women should be veiled, the burqa is a cultural-religious interpretation of modesty. Many women who wear the burqa do so voluntarily, and with pride. They are expressing what they believe is their covenant with God to remain honorable and pure. Being a religious person, I understand the importance of tokens to express covenants with God. If I lived in a nation that denied my right to freely express my relationship with God, I would move. Plain and simple. I don't feel that religious expression should be discriminated solely because it is a visible expression rather than a latent/private one. The fact that Islamic tokens are overt, public and visible does not make them less important or more revokable than my own.

To the women who are forced to wear the veil, I believe they should ban together to fight for their right to express their individuality. My heart aches for those who are coerced into covering their faces from the world. Still, I don't feel that women who truly rejoice in the burqa should be denied their right to worship. There, I said it.

7 comments:

  1. Many people's religious tokens are relatively hidden-the wearing of a simple cross,henna tattoos,a red wrist string.
    Somehow,the 'Niqab and burqa are a lot more 'in your face' and i can see how these women must struggle living in the 'western' world.Should it be a case of 'when in Rome'??They have chosen to come to live in the European countries,where 'rules' such as removing any headware for the taking of a passport photo,drivers license photo etc,is mandatory.We cant even smile or wear dangly earrings,for goodness' sake.
    Would i feel secure being served in a bank,by a 'masked' teller? Or want my little grandchildren taught in a school by a woman whose eyes and mouth they could not see??No.
    I admire their religious commitments,but feel that when they come to countries where there is not a majority of Muslims,then they have to understand that there dress 'standards' are not 'ours'.
    I grew up in London surrounded by many Pakistani Muslims--who dressed conservatively and wore a headscarf.It was not extreme-no one thought anything of it.
    There are motorcycle laws --a helmet is mandatory.What so Sikhs do?
    The debate can go on and on

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on this on Steph. which is funny too cause i consider MYSELF a feminist...

    But while you don't take things personally, yikes, I think I do. still sore about p's comment...that one hurt. maybe its cause i grew up in bama where people told me i wasn't a christian regularly...so i'm sensitive to people telling me i'm not a christian. sorry i'm bi-commenting. referring to two posts in one comment, is that illegal?

    what would you say though if it wasn't a burqa and instead KKK covering?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey brooke,
    sorry about p's comment. I know he didn't mean for it to be offensive. He's a good kid, and would never mean any harm.

    I can't believe we agree with me on something (haha!) I'm actually surprised that I take this stance on the burqa, but I do.

    I don't think the KKK garb and the burqa compare at all. The burqa is a symbol of modesty, whereas the KKK is a symbol hatred, regardless if they're a "christian" group. They wear their apparel for the purpose of secrecy, whereas the burqa is solely for honor/modesty. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree, but the freedom of expression gets sticky . cause you have to be willing to tolerate the opposite opinion shouting just as loudly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a hard subject. Like you, Steph I believe in the freedom to express one's religious views, but can also see how a covered face does cause people to think in certain situations. I remember in France they used the platform of religious anonymity as their justification to make removal of head dresses of any type compulsory. In Montreal, however it's a case of not being concealed to the public. Just as Susan said the debate goes on...if we start demanding "religious anonymity" will the sign of the cross be banned as in France? If that's the case, let me know where you'd move do get away from it, cause I'd go there too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting topic!

    I wish we could hear some interviews with the women who wear the burqas themselves. I'm sure they would have something to say about this.

    --
    Going into a hypothetical scenario, I can see there being a problem with "respecting religious views" if ever the definition of a religion gets too shady. For example, what if any group of people got together, claimed that they started their own religion, and then started to do illegal (or unethical) things? What then? And what is the difference between a "religious view" and just a "personal view"?

    But don't get me wrong... I, too, believe in the freedom of religious expression!

    Peace and love!
    -Nathan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this and I really agree. My only criticism is of your wanting to "distance myself from the man-hating/bra-burning/frowny-faced/armpit-jungled/perpetually single feminist." I understand the emotion you have, but a comment like this will either make enemies of people who could just as easily be friends, or it will make friends out of people who want to share enemies with you. I doubt that God is keeping a distance from these people. Why are you?

    Much Love,

    Nick

    PS: (and this might simply be an inflammatory addition) I have a lot of admiration for and attraction to women who don't feel they need to modify their bodies or cut, shave, trim, pluck, or rip out ANY of their hair in order to feel beautiful.

    Again much love and no judgment. Just stating my truth.

    ReplyDelete