Monday, March 29, 2010

Meet the Puzeys








Usually having in-laws in town is a scary, intimidating and anxiety-ridden experience. Luckily, having Kim and Julie in Costa Rica for a week was like Christmas. And no, it wasn't only because they brought 2 suitcases chock-full of North American goodies (ie stroller, baby backpack, deodorant, almonds, peanut butter all our redirected mail (yay), Balderdash etc.) It wasn't even because Kim grew a huge white beard and wore a red velour jump suit on the airplane (he didn't really. Unfortunately, Kim is not a rolly-polly old man. Quite the contrary. In fact, Kim is a young, vibrant Puma who can complete 100 push-ups on command. What a stud. I bet he and my dad would have pushup contests all the time.) The real reason their visit felt like Christmas was because every morning they were here, I woke up excited and giddy about what the day might bring (not 'bring' as in the tasty dinners at Che's pizza/fridge full of groceries/new Venus razors..I mean 'bring' in the intangible sense.)

From sitting on the front porch couch discussing deep philosophy with Kim to getting solicited mothering tips from Julie, having my in-laws in town was the antithesis of what the movies portray. They even agreed to play Balderdash, which I've come to conclude is only a fun game if you're really tired or a Catudal. Even so, they were good sports and played an entire game with me. But the best part of their visit was that Harper was able to meet,love and spit-up on her Grammy and Gramps Puzey.

On a side note, Gramps Puzey was one of the reasons that me and Rivs got together in the first place. When I met Rivs I was working on my Senior paper, the culminating project before graduating from the International Cultural studies department. When I told Rivs that my paper was on Mormon Democrats (go figure), he immediately said "Oh, you should call my dad. He knows a lot of stuff about....well, everything." So, after about 3 weeks of knowing Rivers, I was already involved in deep academic conversations with his dad. If Rivs was anything like his papa, then he was a keeper fer sure. He really does know a lot of stuff about everything.

Yeah, Grammy and Gramps Puzey are all right in my books.

3 comments:

  1. What a great tribute to some wonderful people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would have to agree with your "mum" they are some of if not the most wonderful people on this planet. it has been an honor to live 3 doors down from them for the last 13 years. i can only imagine the deep conversations on the porch, way over my head for sure! so glad they were able to meet harper and she was kind enough to spit up on them, ha! you've joined a great family for sure! ps. you're looking great steph- love the one of you and harper. my tommy is looking better too now that his scary amish/jewish/homeless man beard is gone!have a great week to all of you~

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an awesome family.

    i think i would love to read your paper. i think ;) no seriously though, cause i feel like LA there are tons of them (M.D's...hehe)

    ReplyDelete