Monday, January 25, 2010

on fingertoes and love

Nothing particularly exciting has happened lately, so I've been hesitant to blog. BUT...I have a 40-page curriculum on Media, Conflict and Peacebuilding due in a few days, so obviously I have to find something to blog about. Hmmm. Let's see what's been on my mind lately...
i. I used to hate my feet. Long, bony toes with a hint of hair that crack and pop every time I bend them. And of course they're ALWAYS disgustingly dirty. In fact, I used to be really embarrassed of my feet in general. At parties, I'd either wear socks or try to contort my feet so that somehow the tops would be flush with the floor. Please, try to picture it. Luckily, being a mom has transformed this adolescent shame into pure love. I can basically do everything I need with my fingertoes, so take that all you perfectly petite-footed girls who I envied in high school... Dirty diaper on the floor? No problem. Just a swift flex of the foot and that soggy nappy is in the trash. Boom. Need to put sleeping Harper in her bouncer but the toy bar is attached? Piece of cake. Big toe and second toe pincers to the rescue. Baby blanket fell on the floor and my gluts aren't buff enough to squat with a 14 poound baby in hand? Ha. The swift three-toe-pronged straight-leg up-kick and Harper is all snug. So really, let's be honest Marisa Caruso and Christina Brocollini. Let me know if your beautiful feet can do that.
***and yes, I did go around the house taking photos of my feet in action. That's how much I don't want to write this curriculum.

ii. I really have the best husband ever. I know a lot of people say that, but it's not true. Mine really is. Today I came home from school, and of course I bypassed Rivers and went directly to Harper with a passing "hey babe" on the way. Well, turns out she had gotten greedy and ate a little more than her tummy could handle and vomited everywhere just moments before I came home. Naturally, I blamed Rivers for her gluttony and quickly took her away whispering "Mommy's here now..." Oh boy. Like the good-natured man that he is, Rivers simply put his shoes on and went for a run, leaving me to ponder my irrationality and consequent ways I could make it up to him. When he came home, I was geared up for a raging apology. As soon as "I'm sorry" escaped my lips, Rivers kissed me on the cheek, shrugged his shoulders and said "It's okay". Like it really was okay. Then he proceeded to make and serve me dinner. Need I say more?

3 comments:

  1. so happy to read a post again, i've missed reading about your adventures in life! don't ya just love useable toes? i've decided that if something ever happens to my hands, i'm in business! too funny that you went ahead a did some "action" shots, steph you totally crack me up. your honey is a good guy and that my friend is why i likeh him {you too} so much! sometimes {i use this word loosely} it is so hard to not hurt the ones we love, but let's be honest, it happens. all you can do is say i'm sorry and move forward. hope you get your school work done and your beautiful daughter is well. don't let be gone so long next time... i need to laugh more often and your post do just that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph! That is amazing to ponder on what a blessing our feet really are. I have often envied the 'pretty feet' people of the world. My little short stubby toes are nothing to be impressed with. You insight reminded me of all the gratitude I feel for the little sausages!

    AWEEEEEEEE!!! Rivers is awesome--as are you! You guys are so great for each other!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have some serious apologizing to do,my girl!!That man of yours is worth his weight in gold!!
    By the way--that pincher -toe move to remove the toy bar,is mighty impressive!I'd expect nothing less from a Grad student!!

    ReplyDelete