Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Hasta Luego Nanny, Bienvenido Realidad

There are so many things I should be doing right now other than blogging, but between writing a paper on the Rwandan Genocide, reading the Marxist critique of education and starting my thesis proposal, I think I've made the most sane decision.

Yesterday was a pretty sucky day. First of all, I had to begin the saga of leaving Harper for 5 hours while I go to class every day. Sucky. To compound the torture, I also had to say goodbye to my mum, who has been living with us for the past 2 months. Sucky. And worst of all, I just watched Julie and Julia, which really left me wondering why no movie offer has been made on my blog. Suckiest. Needless to say, I came home to a delicious dinner made by my beautifully bearded husband only to spew tears all over it. Could I be any less like me? (If that statement doesn't make sense to you, then you probably were not a part of my teenage years. Picture facial peircings, tattoos (permanent) (can you do a parenthesis inside of a parenthesis? who cares, did it twice) Doc Martins, arm socks (I actually think I started that. Back off, Avril Lavigne) (there I go again) strange cut-off pants that made me look like I truly believed a flood was coming (at that time, the existence of a worldwide flood was still debatable in my mind), and black eyeliner.)))))

Having my mum here was so amazing. I can't even explain how big of a help she was. I was definitely in a false sense of reality as the laundry was magically done and folded every day, a gourmet dinner was promptly served at 6 and I could knock on a door at 2am, go directly back to bed and miraculously still have my baby fed and changed. It feels really quiet in our house now, which is saying a lot about my mum, since we have a 2 month old. We really miss her.
Somehow I'm sucking it up and facing my somewhat regrettable decision to do my Masters while having a baby, and making it to class every day. Well, it's only day 2, but still...

Below I've posted some pictures from over Christmas break. In one of them, you'll notice that our little daughter has boobs. Way to go, Harp! You'll be the most popular girl in Kindergarten.





4 comments:

  1. I think I'm turing into a psycho stalker or something by becoming your #1 fan of your blog. Steph, you crack me up. You are such a funny writer! Keep the posts coming! You make me laugh at a stressful time in my life. Oh, and Harper is super cute. I know I've said that before, but every parent loves to hear how cute their kid is . . . that is if their kid is cute because some people just say it to be nice. But for real, she's cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having a hard time coming back to the real world--well--what is the real world for me any more? I am still doing mountains of laundry,still cooking and buying groceries,just for another daughter in another city on the American continent.
    I miss harper so much--she is such a sweet one( except when she is over tired)
    I miss life with you and al it entailed~~I shall return,do not fear!Keep your chin up,try hard at school--it'll all be worth it in the end and believe me ,harper will not be scarred for life because her Mum left her in her Dad's care for 5 hours a day!!It'll make her more rounded!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^ That. I'm next, right mum? :D Not for a while probably.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Steph! I have been EXACTLY where you are! Okay well not in Costa Rica and not doing a masters...BUT I had my mum with me when I had Katie and was going back to work. My laundry was done, the cooking was done AND I had a sympathetic shoulder to cry on and tell me to 'keep my chin up'-must be a british phrase! This is the best time to have to have to leave your baby though cause she really won't remember a thing! As far as Katie knows I was always home with her and she can't even remember the year plus that I had to work!
    Chin up! You're incredible!!

    ReplyDelete