Saturday, December 26, 2009

Happy Annivirthday!






5 days after arriving in Costa Rica came the greatest annual celebration of all times. Christmas? Nope. Halloween? Warmer. National Librarian Day? Now you're really hot. You see, it was Rivers birthday in combination with our first Wedding Anniversary, and to make it extra special I decided it would be a great idea to rent a car in a foreign land and drive through the mountains to surprise Rivers with a beach vacation weekend. So, at 5am I coaxed Rivers out of bed with the promise of a "surprise destination". This proved to be a little anticlimatic as we ended up at the airport in order to rent the car, which resulted in Rivers thinking we were flying somewhere exotic, when in fact we were there to take a ghetto shuttle to rent a crappy* car and drive 2 hours to a dirty beach. Letdown.

Although the beaches weren't the most picturesque, we still had a great time. Driving in Costa Rica is like playing Mario-Cart except there's no happy cloud telling you when you're driving the wrong way up a one-way street (which happened not once, but twice). I quickly discovered that two lanes really means three lanes in Costa Rica because there is a mutual understanding between all drivers that when you are being passed, you automatically move to the right and let the passing car straddle the yellow line (thus creating a third lane. Genious, really). At first I was pretty freaked out by this new discovery, but I soon came out of my cocoon and had a love affair with this unspoken third lane, leaving the cars behind us in a plume of Pugeot smoke. Lata suckas.

The highlight of our weekend ended up being the drive up and through the mountains, which was really pretty beautiful. And even though I later found out that we could have taken a 2$ bus ride to get there, the $175 I spent on our little Pugeot rental was so worth it. Kind of. Maybe just a little bit. Okay, I felt like and arse when I learned this little morsel of information but driving across the bridge was worth at least $25, leaving me only $152 stupid.

* I'm sorry, little Pugeot. You're really not that crappy, I was just saying that for comedic alliteration.

No comments:

Post a Comment