Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Good News: we love our baby!




I'll be honest. When we found out I was knocked up, there were no hugs, no tears, and no excited phone calls. Rivers did not smoke a fattie cigar. Wait-scratch that. There were tears (more the sobbing kind), and one hug that accompanied the sobbing tears in the back of the Coffee Gallery. I guess there was even a phone call (I had to ask my sister what "borderline pregnant" meant. A cruel trick that nurses pull to make the day pass quickly? Nope.) Rivers still did not smoke a fattie cigar.


Anyways, we basically spend 9 months in apprehensive fear. I mean, come on. I wrote a wedding song for Rivers which harbored the line "let's still wait 5 years 'till we have babies". Even my mom was overtly worried about my feelings towards the being growing in my belly. She tried to hide her concern, but I saw right through her "casual" comments in the days preceding D-day about how some mothers "really don't feel that attachement right away". Thanks mom.


Even as I was laying in the maternity ward hospital bed with petocin pumping into my veins, I was filled with doubt; is it possible to love someone you've never met? I'm a pretty busy girl. Don't babies take up a lot of time or something?


Well, turns out they do. Luckily, it also turns out that as soon as I popped her out, Harper became the love of my life (don't worry, Rivers. It's a different kind of love). I love her and I don't even care who knows it. Yes, to all those who knew me in the punkrock days, I've gone soft. Completely and utterly mushy. I love yellow, runny poop. I get excited when she eats 4 ounces. I practically pee my pants when I pull a long, stringy booger out of her nose. I think it's hilarious when she farts on my arm or pees when I'm changing her diaper.


Oh life has changed.




1 comment:

  1. love your point of view! just like mine- honest and to the point. no mushy baby stuff. love it! so glad you started a blog as i miss you two terribly. you are so funny and i enjoy you to death. please don't get all lazy and forget about your blog... i've got you as a daily read and don't want to be disappointed :)! hope all is going well in costa rica. harper is BEAUTIFUL! and i'm not just saying that... hope you guys have a wonderful christmas and have been enjoying your mom being there. i'm sure she is going to miss harper when she leaves. give my tommy a hug for me!

    ReplyDelete