Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Maui Wowie

I spent last weekend lounging childless on the shores of Maui. I attribute my ability to have done this to an awesome husband who, with little-to-no persuasion graciously stayed behind to watch Harper, as well as a very well-connected Lindsay who has a friend with a condo in Kihei, Maui which we were able to use for free.

Although I had prior aspirations of waking early to get some sightseeing in, and staying up late to party hard (Mormon style, of course. Shirley Temples and PG-13 rated movies), we spent most of the weekend tanning our buns on the beach and watching trashy reality shows. And boy was it awesome.

We rented a great little Ford Focus. These are the faces of girls with newfound freedom, filled with endless possibility. Aaaah...


This is how we spent a lot of our time. You may think this was a waste of a perfectly good island vacation opportunity, but keep in mind that we take our babies to the beach every single day. A little Bravo, TLC and Style R & R is exactly what we needed...

We ate delicious Thai food uninterrupted by crying babies knocking over glasses of ice water. As luck would have it, though, we were seated (in a very uncrowded restaurant, mind you) next to a family with a baby and a small child. I think seeing the little ones made us miss our own little ones. But not too much...

Then we stopped by a frozen yogurt place to indulge in pumpkin pie fro yo topped with graham crackers and whipped cream. Yes, the girls went wild indeed...

We spent the second day casually crashing a ritzy Mariott resort, trying to act natural as we snatched the neatly rolled green-and-white striped towels from the hotel's lawn chairs and claimed them for our own.


The facade was short lived. After an hour of basking sand-free, hotel security asked to see our elitist "guests only" bracelets. Needless to say we were cast to the sands like the pilgrims we are.

The last day was rainy and cool, so we packed our stuff and headed to the mall with hours (and I mean hours) to kill before our thirty minute flight back home. Oh, but don't you worry. We found plenty of ways to entertain ourselves, much to the chagrin of many-a-salespeople.




It was a much-needed respite. When I got home, I was half hoping that Rivers would grovel at my feet telling me what a hard job I had in being Harper's primary caretaker. Instead I was told tales of how much fun his weekend was. And I guess this is a good thing.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a jolly good time was had by all1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tommy is not only the "best runner" husband, but the best "leave the child with me" husband. Did Harper by chance learn how to swim under Tommy's watch or something cool like tha? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. maui looks like it was fun. hope you were wearing your maui babe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, I wish I was in those photos...in a totally gay way!!!

    ReplyDelete