Saturday, April 24, 2010

Should I Stay or Should I Go?

So here's the deal...The culminating course of my Masters degree is a field training excursion in Southern Nicaragua. Although our professor (who has been a journalist in Chechnya, Colombia, China etc.) is unable to disclose any details about the training, he has told us that we'll be in a conflict-zone simulation, under intense physical and mental pressure with little to no sleep for one solid week. When I asked if we were going to be shot-at, he ambiguously replied: "I can not tell you any of this information". Sounds like fun, right? Well, I'm crazy enough to think so, especially because ideally, I would love to be a journalist reporting in conflict zones.

All this to say that if I attend the training, I'll have to be away from Harper and Rivers for 8 days. Although the prospect of leaving an early-rising, sometimes whiny baby behind for a week would have sounded like a blessing only 6 months ago, I've grown quite attatched to the little sucker and don't know if I can be away from her. I mean, I doodle her name surrounded by little hearts on my notebook when I'm in class for 3 hours...How am I going to do 56 X 3 hours? Will she forget about me? Will she be scarred for life? What if she miraculously starts talking, and because I'm gone, her first word isn't Mama? Is she going to turn into a teenage delinquent because I left her for a week when she was 6 months old?

I have to make my decision by tomorrow evening. What do you guys think?

8 comments:

  1. a baby's first words are usually 'dada' anyway!So you wont be missing out there.I say go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say go, too. It is hard to leave, but will be a gift for you - as well as a gift of daddy/daughter time for them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you'll probably regret it if you don't go...and you'll love her even more when you get back! just don't die...cuz i need more girl friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go! It'll will be an amazing experience to share with her when she gets older.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, sounds intense! Little to no sleep? Kind of reminds me of my seminary days. (HA! just kidding ;) ) By the way, what master's degree are you studying for? (Could you show us a link to the university's site perhaps?)
    I would say "go"... but how much does it cost for the travel fees??
    -Nathan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you should go. Just know that your heart will literally hurt to be away from Harper and you will probably wish you hadn't gone at first, but I bet you will never regret going once you have had the full experience and coming home will be like Christmas. Unless you die.

    ReplyDelete
  7. is it too late to vote?
    i think you should rush that trip.
    -m

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha, way late, but I am happy you went!

    ReplyDelete