Saturday, February 13, 2010

Vamos a la Playa



































Wanna know the best thing about taking your baby to the beach? Getting peed on by your diaperless baby and not minding because there's a vast body of salty water that will quickly wash it away. Rivers and I both know this from experience after bringing Harper to the beach for the first time.

Saturday morning, Rivs, Harper and I piled into an SUV with our friends Katja and Gayle, along with Gayle's three dogs. Max, the Rotweiler/Doberman, took a particular liking to Harper and spent most of the car ride trying to crane his gargantuan neck over the back seat to sniff and lick her face, succeeding on more than one occasion. I was a bit worried at first, but when I saw Harp's amusement with the situation, I let it fly. Just buildin' up the old immune system, is all...

After arriving at the beach and lathering Harper up with 10$ biodegradable baby sunscreen, we put on her swimsuit (size 6-9 months. Fattie.) and took her down to the water. I took it slow and carefully knelt in the toe-high water, gently placing her feet in the ocean. "Oh Harper, isn't this fun?!" I excitedly excalimed with genuine enthusiasm. Then Rivers took a turn by confidently wading out into the waves, placing her all the way in the water and quickly picking her up as the waves would roll in. When they returned to shore, Harper looked at me like "Mom, you're so lame. Dad is waaay cooler." Am I really gonna be that mother? You know, the one that walks up and down the pool deck alongside their kid, ready to throw a rescue buoy at any moment? I sure hope not...

Either way, Harper really seemed to enjoy the day. In fact, I think it was the best day of her life so far. She didn't even seem to mind getting black sand in her face, sunscreen in her eye (oops) or licked by a few dogs. She's a real trooper.

Oh-I almost forgot the second best part! (First best being baby urinating on stomachs and legs and not caring one bit). When we came home from the beach, Rivers found an amazing surprise sitting atop a roll of toilet paper in our bathroom. Yet another Costa Rican treasure...

2 comments:

  1. That scorpion is one scary looking creature! I really really thought they were as big as lobsters though!
    The beach photos are wonderful!!You guys lead a charmed life i hope you realise!!!Scorpions and all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's awesome! Parker just went swimming in the ocean for the first time too. she's a little more scandalous and went naked tho and I'm a little more irresponsible and swam with her til her legs and arms were like icicles... babies rock.

    ReplyDelete